[News] Microsoft Fights PDF Format, Cross Platform Access

With XPS as PDF killer, Microsoft opens second front on Adobe

,----[ Quote ]
| Will XPS match or even overthrow PDF in the long run? Some analysts
| are skeptical, pointing to PDF?s lead and the loyalty towards Adobe
| among publishing and design customers.
|
| Taking on PDF "seems too steep a path to climb," said Kathleen Maher,
| an analyst at Tiburon, Calif.-based Jon Peddie Research. "PDF is
| so ubiquitous, it works on every machine. Adobe is even trying to
| get it onto mobile phones. I just can't see a reason to use an
| operating system-specific standard like XPS."
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9017438&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/yst567

Market regulators should jump in on this one. This is another case of
monopoly power/dominant position abuse where one division assists another.
Judge Jackson wanted to break apart the company for precisely that reason.
They also do this to Flash and cross-platform media options.

Related:

Windows Vista Product Guide: Free to Download, $149 to Read

,----[ Quote ]
| 'Windows Vista Product Guide' was released in two formats:
|
| Microsoft Office Word 2007
| The standard .doc format isn't good enough, you need to be able to
| read a .docx file, so all those users of Office XP are just plain
| out of luck on
| this one.
|
| XPS
| What the heck is XPS? I hadn't heard of it before now, (a quick
| Google tells me XPS is Microsoft's proprietary rival to PDF)
| but apparently you need a special reader for it (which is
| kindly enough built into Vista, but nothing else).
`----

http://itsvista.com/2006/12/windows-vista-product-guide-free-to-download-149-to-read/

Adobe could still sue Microsoft: paper

,----[ Quote ]