[News] A Dozen Things you Can't Do in Windows (But Can Do in GNU/Linux)

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows.

,----[ Quote ]
| # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single
|   action...
|
| # Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot...
|
| # Keep my system secure without software that consumes my system resources,
|   requires my time, and frequently nags me...
|
| # Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software,
|   and without breaking the law...
|
| #  Take my settings with me where ever I go...
|
| # Run Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 on the same desktop...
|
| # Understand everything that is going on in my computer...
|
| # Customize every aspect of my desktop...
|
| # Benefit from competition between projects for each system on my
|   computer...
|
| # Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux...
|
| # Learn about, support, and appreciate the value of free software...

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows

I'll add another one (12th):

# Running Windows XP games, whose compatiblity Vista stubbornly insists on
breaking. Here's another new item:

Gaming on (Foresight) Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With the upcoming Enemy Territory: Quake Wars release, I installed
| Quake IV, Doom 3 and the original Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on
| my desktop today. Since I did a clean install of Foresight a couple
| months ago, I wanted to make sure I work out any kinks before
| ET:QW's release.
|
| Everything worked like a champ...
|
| [...]
|
| Who said you couldn?t game on Linux? Come get some!
`----

http://www.silwenae.org/blog/?p=725

Related:

Cedega 6.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| After many months of intense development, we couldn't be more
| thrilled to unveil our latest and most exciting Cedega version
| yet: Cedega 6.0. We're escalating Linux gaming to new heights...
`----

http://transgaming.org/

Cedega 6.0 Performance Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| For those new to Linux or the yet to be converts, Cedega is an
| application that emulates Microsoft's DirectX and allows the user to
| play a variety of games within Linux that otherwise wouldn't be
| possible.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=681&num=1

Cedega 6.0 - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I am quite pleased with the install process. It was a
| matter of untaring the files to / and running the simple setup.
| I didn't run into any problems, so hopefully your experience will be
| similar. With installation out of the way, let's check out the GUI and
| features, then finally then move onto testing.
`----

http://techgage.com/article/cedega_60

Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| However, I spent the extra time and while I was at it had run three
| Quake 4 v1.3 benchmarks in XP, Vista, and Fedora Core 6 (2.6.20 kernel).
| The hardware used was a modest AMD Sempron setup with a NVIDIA GeForce
| 6150 and the NVIDIA 1.0-9755 drivers (the hardware chosen was to
| represent the more common Linux user rather than using an octal-core
| setup). The NVIDIA driver on Vista was 100.65 while the XP version
| was 93.71. Below is the average frame-rate from each test on each
| operating system.
`----

http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=164

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game
| you are likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is
| certainly not a good buying argument but don?t think you
| and I have much choice as it looks like a take it or leave it deal.
| I like Vista as the 3D desktop looks sexy but that is probably
| its key feature.

Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the
| machines that we investigated were running Windows XP.
|
| Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as
| things might be not stable for current games. We hope
| that they can meet the early 2007 schedules.

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/