[News] Apple UI Hit by Patents; Novell Welcomes Mono/.NYET Threat

Apple's interface held to the fire in dubious suit

,----[ Quote ]
| An Illinois-based company and its Nevada partner have filed a lawsuit
| against Apple Inc., alleging that Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" treads on
| an interface patent that affects the operating system's nearly
| universal use of tabs.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/21/apples_interface_held_to_the_fire_in_dubious_suit.html
http://tinyurl.com/2gqe4e

Review: Move .Net Apps To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's licensing of the C# language and its submissions to the
| European Computer Manufacturer's Association (ECMA) have made it
| possible for Mono developers to reconstruct the Common Intermediate
| Language and formulate its bindings and operations.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199100694

See the following:

http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Dirty_Tricks_history#C.23.2FCLI

Related:

Microsoft's stolen code and IP infringements

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon, MS-DOS 6.0 was released, including the Microsoft DoubleSpace
| disk compression utility program. Stac successfully sued Microsoft
| for patent infringement regarding the compression algorithm
| used in DoubleSpace...
|
| F. Scott Deaver, owner of Failsafe Designs, says Microsoft is guilty of
| the "outright theft" of his product name and intellectual property
| (IP)...
|
| Alacritech sued Microsoft in Federal District Court on August 11,
| 2004, alleging that Microsoft's existing and future operating
| systems containing the "Chimney" TCP offload architecture uses
| Alacritech's proprietary SLIC Technology architecture...
|
| In April 2001, Intertrust initiated a lawsuit against Microsoft. The
| lawsuit ultimately accused Microsoft of infringing 11 of Intertrust's
| patents and almost 130 of the company's patent claims...
|
| Visto Corporation has filed a legal action against Microsoft for
| misappropriating Visto's intellectual property... "Microsoft has a
| long and well-documented history of acquiring the technology of
| others, branding it as their own, and entering new markets," said
| Mr. Bogosian...
|
| Telecoms company AT&T accused Microsoft of infringing its patent for
| a digital speech coder in its Window software in a lawsuit it filed
| in 2000...
|
| The likelihood of Microsoft having to pay millions of dollars in
| damages for infringing the contested Eolas patent for web browser
| technology increased last week when the US Patent and Trademark
| Office reaffirmed the patent's validity...
|
| A bitter fight has broken out between Symantec and Microsoft.
| Symantec claims that Microsoft stole code from Veritas software...
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1385

Is Microsoft infringing upon Xerox, Apple and Unix intellectual property?

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual Property is a term widely abused in the software industry
| by firms such as Microsoft and SCO using it to scare people into not
| using certain products in favor of their own. This disparaging tactic
| has even been given a name: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). It seemst
| hat anyone nowadays can make bold, unsubstantiated claims of IP
| infringement without actually having any proof simply to hurt another
| products reputation and destroy healthy competition. In this article,
| we will explore what intellectual property is and why every computeru
| ser should care when unreputable companies abuse legal systems in
| order to gain an unfair business advantage.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/page.php?27

The Apple vs. Microsoft GUI Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]