Re: BadVista (FSF) Push for Government to Adopt Free Software and Linux

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Saturday 21 April 2007 05:42 \__

> On Apr 20, 11:48 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> \> The feds weigh in on Windows security
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
>> | can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
>> | can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
>> | move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
>> | Paller wrote.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html
>
> The headline is misleading.  It turns out that the White House is
> simply insisting that all PCs used by the Federal Government are
> to be configured in "secure mode".  Unfortunately, the only
> true "Secure Mode" for Windows is unplugged from the network.
>
> The directive essentially disables the most common features that
> make Windows desirable.  IE is essentially turned back into Mozilla.
> Outlook is all but disabled.  The firewall doesn't let you download
> anything (exept security updates from Microsoft).  The irony is
> that this could prevent you from getting security updates that could
> prevent you from getting frame-overrun implanted viruses and other
> such nonsense.
>
> Perhaps George is trying to buddy up to Bill one last time by sticking
> with Windows, but issuing a directive that will make PCs utterly
> useless,
> resulting in a backlash that will trigger a stampede to Linux at about
> same
> time the Republicans are scrambling to win elections.

Which headline is misleading? ZDNet's, I assume. The point to make here is
that C|Net (?_ delivered a report about the government's dissatisfaction
with its Windows PC in their present state. It could become yet another
catalyt that supports the FSF's endeavours.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  6:00am  up 6 days  5:28,  4 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.73, 0.77