Re: [News] Microsoft Tried $3-Play Against Linux Before (and Failed)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Tried $3-Play Against Linux Before (and Failed)
  • From: John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:02:26 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:32:43 +0100, "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> $3 Windows a threat to Linux?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Meanwhile, in the embedded market, Microsoft attempted to counter
>> | the low costs of using embedded Linux with a $3 Windows CE licensing
>> | program launched back in 2003.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6846555964.html
>
>They can't even *give* it away. LOL!
>
>No wonder they use OEM lock-ins to "deploy" their software, it's
>virtually the only way they'd ever shift it.
>
>"Unlike North America and, to some extent, Western Europe, the rest of
>the world isn't addicted to Microsoft's offerings," he adds. "They can
>see with far clearer eyes than most Americans that Windows is not the
>be-all and end-all of operating systems."

It looks like the Munich LInux migration plan is back on track..got
sidelined for awhile because of patent concerns:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39171380,00.htm

Linux is a ery attractive option to local governments in Europe that
are strapped for cash...why put money in Microsoft's pocket if you
don't have to ?