[News] Thoughts on Dell's Plan to Virtualise Linux and Windows on New PCs

  • Subject: [News] Thoughts on Dell's Plan to Virtualise Linux and Windows on New PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:27:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dell Hoping Hypervisor Will Open Up Desktop Linux Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Plenty of vendors are jumping into the virtualization marketplace, so it will
| be interesting if Dell is able to garner a following with this approach,
| especially if the sole purpose is to help break open the enterprise Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.networkcomputing.com/channels/storageandservers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201311298

Dual Booting Windows-Linux: The Dell Option

,----[ Quote ]
| Generally when a company is considering an upgrade to new workstations or
| notebook computers, they will elect to use Microsoft Windows. Not out of love
| for the operating system, rather out of understanding for the importance of
| familiarity and compatibility with the existing office ecosystem. Sounds like
| a good approach, until the ecosystem breaks down with a security breach
| targeting the OS used almost exclusively by the business in question.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3693581

I wonder how the news below affects this development. It's anti-competitive and
someone should contact Neelie Kroes's agency.

Yesterday:

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized on top
| of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source software lab,
| said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here Aug. 7.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Also yesterday:

Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168426,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616