[News] Photos: Doom on Linux, on the Plane; New ACCESS Linux (Mobile Device Screenshots)

  • Subject: [News] Photos: Doom on Linux, on the Plane; New ACCESS Linux (Mobile Device Screenshots)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:32:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virgin America Inaugural

,----[ Quote ]
| Doom on a plane!
|
| To sum it up, I will use a word that the pilots used in thanking us for the
| flight: awesome. I don't think I've ever heard 'Thank you for an awesome
| flight' on an aircraft before.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/virgin_america.html

New ACCESS Linux Platform Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCESS have launched a new website for the ACCESS Linux Platform (ALP) with
| new developer documentation and details about the platform. The company has
| also announced a number of new partners and initiatives around ALP at the
| LinuxWorld going on now in San Francisco. MobieLinuxInfo has put together
| over 10 screenshots of the linux powered platform in action and goes over
| some of the new ALP news announced this week.
`----

http://www.mobilelinuxinfo.com/392/access-linux-platform-screenshots/

Related:

ACCESS Strengthens Global Partner Program by Adding More Members and
Participating in Launch of New Orange Developer Center in Beijing

| ACCESS CO., LTD., today introduced new members of the ACCESS
| Connect Ecosystem (ACE) partner program, including five local
| Chinese partners.
`----

http://digital50.com/news/items/PR/2007/06/04/AQM046/access-strengthens-global-partner-program-by-adding-more-members-and-participating-in.html
http://tinyurl.com/yqezhm

More proof that Linux has conquered the mobile world.

ACCESS Renames Palm OS, Debuts ACCESS Powered Logo

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the company has released its 'ACCESS Powered' logo,
| which will adorn devices running the Garnet OS and presumably
| the ACCESS Linux Platform, the successor to the Garnet OS.
`----

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=3074

Cellphone giants unveil mobile Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Six of the world's largest telecommunications companies have
| officially launched a non-profit organization dedicated to
| creating a common mobile Linux software platform. Founded by
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications,
| Samsung Electronics, and Vodafone, the LiMo Foundation is
| inviting membership and participation from application
| and middleware developers.

Airborne Linux Hackers Unite!

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin America calls their new in-flight entertainment system “Red,” but it
| is really a gigantic sociological experiment in airborne distributed
| computing.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/airborne-linux-hackers-unite/

Virgin America

,----[ Quote ]
| The IFE runs Linux, boots over the network and has a full qwerty
| keyboard.
|
| [...]
|
| Finally, the IFE has Doom on it, I don't know if it is multiplayer
| or not. There is a competition going where you can submit your
| Open Source games for evaluation if they can run on the aircraft,
| a new target for game makers.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/07/_virgin_america.html

Text-Based YouTube Video Player for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| “This is a concept video depicting how users can surf and even watch
| videos from youtube without the use of a Graphical User Interface.
| The operating System is linux fedora 6, I used the lynx text based
| browser to search for a video on youtube,
`----

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/06/28/text-based-youtube-video-player-for-linux/

YouTube on the TV with the OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| Neuros is certainly not the only ones bringing net video to the TV, but we
| are probably the only CE company doing it with open source. Nowhere is the
| intersection between free software and free speech more obvious. If the
| connection between the internet and the TV falls into the hands of a
| proprietary vendor's closed solution, then the hard won free speech victory
| of he internet will fall far short of its ultimate potential.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/905

Demo features POSIX-compliant separation kernel, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LynuxWorks says its simulated aircraft demo for EAC shows a pair
| of applications running on a Linux guest OS, alongside a secure
| application running on top of LynxSecure. The demo will show that
| failure of the guest Linux OS does not impair operation of the
| LynxSecure application, the company says.

| "Open source video games (and a future invitation for savvy linux game
| developers to participate in Red)"
`----

http://www.letvafly.com/VADIFE.php

An entire airplane booting GNU/Linux.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=17308794&size=l

Linux headed into Boeing anti-sub aircraft

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing has awarded Wind River Systems a contract to embed its version
| of Linux into a new military aircraft, the company plans to announce
| Monday along with a new batch of products built around the
| open-source operating system.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6100043.html?part=rss&tag=6100043&subj=news

Over 30s VAX, Linux breeds Boeing's new jets

,----[ Quote ]
| Hawker de Havilland, the local arm of aircraft engineering giant Boeing,
| will retire its 30-year-old VAX system in favour of its new Linux-based
| environment in the manufacture of parts for the company's next-generation
| 787 jets.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1834585068;fp;2;fpid;1

Mega hands-on: Virgin America's Airbus A320 with Red in-flight entertainment

,----[ Quote ]
| They definitely weren't kidding when they said it's got it all:
| movies on demand, pervasive music playlists, in-seat messaging
| with a QWERTY controller, touchscreen Linux consoles with
| games, the works.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/10/mega-hands-on-virgin-americas-airbus-a320-with-red-in-flight-e/

http://www.engadget.com/photos/mega-hands-on-virgin-americas-airbus-a320-with-red-in-flight-entertainment/

A geek's dream plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Every seat has a 9in LCD screen in the seatback in front of you that runs
| on embedded linux
`----

http://johncacka.com/a-geeks-dream-plane/

Delta Airlines runs Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, given how hard it is to get success stories/press releases/etc.
| out of enterprises, I figured I'd announce this one for Delta. Delta
| runs Linux.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/delta_airlines.html

Want YOUR game featured on Virgin America's In-Flight Entertainment
System?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.letvafly.com/mt/2007/02/want_your_game_featured_on_vir.html