Re: Tips: How to Convince People to Migrate to GNU/Linux

On 2007-08-09, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been thinking about a "Cheat Sheet" for Advocates.   Kind of the
> top 10 points to make, such as
>
> A summarized truth ... if you will .. that will appeal to the Man in
> the Street

You need better points.

> (1) Google is a Linux company

A Linux company that tends to ship Windows versions of products first.
If your goal is to advocate Linux to people managing large data centers,
then Google is a good example, but if the goal is to advocate desktop
Linux, it's not all that relevant, and Google's preference for releasing
Windows apps first, and Linux apps later if at all, might even hurt.

> (2) If you send email, browse the web, post on newsgroups, you use
> Linux and OSS.

Similarly, great if trying to advocate Linux for a new ISP.  Not so
relevant to the desktop user.

> (3) Linux is offered, pre-installed, by Dell.   Lenovo, Acer, HP will
> be ready by 2008.

Another that might backfire.  Someone might wonder if Linux is so great,
how come Dell only just started offering it, and the others are taking
so long?

> (4) If you install Linux, you can load free (as in free beer) software
> in all major groups: Office apps, browsers, games, media players --
> for FREE.

Same goes for Windows and OS X.  (And in many cases, it's even the same
software, especially on OS X).

> (5) Linux is virus free.   Period.

Finally one that might work!

> (6) Linux uses your hardware more efficiently than OSX or Windows

Depending on what is being measured, I've seen this go in every which
way.

<http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9752463-7.html>

<http://www.paulgraham.com/mac.html>

> (8) You can select from many great distributions and customize your OS
> to your exact specifications.

Windows and OS X are highly customizable.

> (9) Linux delivers stunning fast graphics with x.org

Windows and OS X, too.

> (10) Companies are hiring people with Linux skills...and it's free to
> install and learn the technology!

True, but not something to convince the typical desktop user to switch.