Re: Tips: How to Convince People to Migrate to GNU/Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:51:39 -0000
<1186685499.846974.52880@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Aug 9, 8:15 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Advocacy 101: Don't Preach, Ask Questions
>
> I've been thinking about a "Cheat Sheet" for Advocates.   Kind of the
> top 10 points to make, such as
>
> A summarized truth ... if you will .. that will appeal to the Man in
> the Street
>
> (1) Google is a Linux company

I'll have to look, and in any event one of their more
interesting freeware offerings (Sketchup) was Windows-
and Mac-only.

Still is, in fact.

http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=36208&topic=9028

The odd thing is that it also requires OpenGL.  Vista and
OpenGL do not get along, so I for one am very puzzled.

Naughty Google.

> (2) If you send email, browse the web, post on newsgroups, you use
> Linux and OSS.

Depends on a large number of factors.  The routers will
probably use either Linux or a proprietary routing OS
(no, not Windows!).  Apache is dropping in popularity;
IIS is gaining.  Others such as lighttp are also stepping
into the breach.

> (3) Linux is offered, pre-installed, by Dell.   Lenovo, Acer, HP will
> be ready by 2008.

One has to know that to find it, unfortunately; the default
Dell offering is still Windows Vista.  Not sure how to fix
it, as their website shows signs of decentralization.
(In other words, department A works for desktops,
department B for notebooks, department C for servers,
and they don't quite have all of their notes together --
especially since their 'N' series pages seem to have Vista
recommendations thereon!)

> (4) If you install Linux, you can load free (as in free beer) software
> in all major groups: Office apps, browsers, games, media players --
> for FREE.

Indeed.

> (5) Linux is virus free.   Period.

Not quite true....BadBunny is out there.  To be sure, as
threats go BadBunny has a long way to go before it evolves
into the malevolence of a Netsky, Mytob, or Zafi (this
according to http://www.sophos.com/security/top-10/ ).

> (6) Linux uses your hardware more efficiently than OSX or Windows

I'm not at all sure how to begin defending or attacking
this statement.  For starters, what hardware, and how does
one measure efficiency?  The Win95 "non-halt CPU heating
issue" has long since been fixed, for example.

> (7) The best programmers work in Linux and OSS.

And not necessarily for free, either. :-)

> (8) You can select from many great distributions and customize your OS
> to your exact specifications.

Indeed; over 400 distros as of last count.  To be sure,
many apparently get so confused they'll go right back to
Windows' "one size fits all", and then complain to us that
there's too much choice.  But isn't that the point?

After all, there are hundreds of thousands of music
selections, and yet no one complains that there's too
much music; one can always listen to the Top 40, if
such be one's desire.

> (9) Linux delivers stunning fast graphics with x.org

And OpenGL.

> (10) Companies are hiring people with Linux skills...and it's free to
> install and learn the technology!

It's also fun again.  Remember the Amiga?  I do.  Its death
is still mourned, but now at least the computer industry
has a pulse, as opposed to a robotic "follow me" drone,
again.

To be sure, it's a weak pulse, and Microsoft presumably
wants to smother it (not profitable enough, after all,
if it has to actually worry about things such as
level playing fields, fairness, and actual competition).

But considering Microsoft's track record, they'll be lucky
if they can place the pillow around OSS's foot, never mind
anywhere near an air instake. ;-)

And .NET is a bit of a wildcard, although there's a fair
amount of suspicion regarding .NET out there, AFAICT anyway.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}