[News] Examples of so-called "Open-source" Companies That Fail to Get Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Examples of so-called "Open-source" Companies That Fail to Get Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:23:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MuleSource plans revenue from open, closed source

,----[ Quote ]
| But isn't an open source ESB like Mule largely developed by the open source
| community rather than by MuleSource's development team? "Actually no, it's a
| misnomer that the community will write you a product," says Mason. "They will
| validate what you do, certainly, and may write their own extensions, but you
| need to write the core product and do all of the necessary QA testing and so
| on to make sure it works with other things."
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=D43AA6B6-FB20-4220-94C8-9144E66B7888

Ingres names new CEO, says appliance servers coming soon

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will release new products soon that build on the Icebreaker
| database appliance that it launched in February. Icebreaker combines the
| Ingres database with parts of rPath's Linux distribution to create a "soft
| appliance," or a stack of software for a specific task delivered ready to
| install on a server.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070808/tc_infoworld/90848

Related:

Free software vs open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I heard that the open source software movement grew up when it was
| noticed that people reacted badly to the idealism that the phrase
| "free software" suggests. In an attempt to attract more people to
| free software they decided to move away from the ideas implicit in
| the term "free software" and use their own term "open source" which
| promotes the practical benefits of this style of development.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/free_software_vs_open_source

Facts and Friction on Open Source and Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| As for me, I would argue that in the spirit of those scientific
| ideals, having freedom as a prime goal as FSF does, would be the
| best thing to support. This is exactly what produced the "Open
| Source" method Linus loves so much.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/facts_and_friction_on_open_source_and_free_software

Using open source as a marketing ploy