Re: [News] Linux Kernel Needs More Testing, Developers Do Not Fear Forking

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 11:30 : \____

>>> Linux kernel maintainer allays fears about forking
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/07/linux-maintainer_1.html
>>>

>> It's encouraging that he recognises that the issue is economic rather
>> than technical, there is a degree of enlightened realism in the free
>> software world which we do not see in the proprietary world.  Having
>> said that, I'm still very concerned that the dangers of binary drivers
>> are not recognised by so many.
>>
> They had this discussion in the kernel mailing list several months ago (accept
> or not accept binary-only drivers). It ended up requiring no change to the
> status quo, but the debate will return in the future. Groklaw discusses such
> as issues as well.

I'm sure this cannot go away, it's too important, nay, risky even,
particularly with a new generation of OEM-supplied Linux machines.  We
could lose almost all the advantages of free software if we're not
careful.  Microsoft would be very well pleased, though.