[News] Singapore-based Company Chooses GNU/Linux for Professional Software

  • Subject: [News] Singapore-based Company Chooses GNU/Linux for Professional Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:42:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Helps Company Develop Scalable Infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.smbedge.com/features/view/4/2331/1/

| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Use Linux and you will be sued, Ballmer tells governments

,----[ Quote ]
| Asian governments using Linux will be sued for IP violations,
| Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said today in Singapore. He did not
| specify that Microsoft would be the company doing the suing, but
| it's difficult to read the claim as anything other than a
| declaration of IP war.
|
| According to a Reuters report (which we fervently hope will
| produce one of Ballmer's fascinating 'I was misquoted'
| rebuttals*), Ballmer told Microsoft's Asian Government Leaders
| Forum that Linux violates more than 228 patents. Come on Steve,
| don't hold back - what you mean 'more than 228' - 229? 230? Don't
| pull your punches to soften the blow to the community. "Some
| day," he continued, "for all countries that are entering the WTO
| [World Trade Organization], somebody will come and look for money
| owing to the rights for that intellectual property."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/18/ballmer_linux_lawsuits/

Singapore charity creates Edubuntu computer lab for terminally ill children

,----[ Quote ]
| Using donated hardware from the Overseas Family School and National
| University of Singapore, the Linux Meetup Group used to power of LTSP to
| deploy 9 thin clients and 1 combined desktop/server.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1066

Linux preinstalled in Singapore.

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/newsview.php?id=2170 (link now broken)

Donorweb Draws On Red Hat to Promote Blood Donation and Retain Blood Donors
in Singapore

,----[ Quote ]
| The content management system and more than 90 percent of the
| online applications on Donorweb are developed using open source
| software by a team of volunteers. The system and applications are
| hosted on two Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers located across
| Singapore and the US. S.P.T. Krishnan, a Red Hat Certified Engineer
| (RHCE), leads the voluntary team of developers and content editors
| and oversees the design of Donorweb's user interfaces and system
| architecture.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070529/20070529005026.html?.v=1

Building Singapore's National Grid