Re: [News] Palm Finds a Linux That it Likes, Linux-based 'Laptop Killer' Coming This Summer

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:06 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Here comes another one (device, I mean).  The day of the desktop is
>>> looking very, well, dead and buried.
>>>
>>> Thinking somewhat laterally to the 3D driver stuff, will there be any
>>> need for 3D rendering in a world where almost nobody is using a desktop
>>> PC anyway?  The power consumed is considerable, of course, and the
>>> gains, unless you're a gamer, more or less not worth the effort.
>>>
>> Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and
>> let the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).
>>
>> Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Palm today announced that when it ships later "this summer," the Foleo
>>| mobile companion will come equipped with remote PC access software from
>>| LogMeIn. The software will enable users to quickly and securely access
>>| files and network resources on their home or work computers, Palm said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2274337184.html
>>

> It's a neat solution, although I find VNC and SSH are adequate for my
> humble needs.  It's amazing how much you can achieve with just ssh
> console access, in my experience, let alone with x-forwarding and so
> on.
>
> The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
> clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.

The size of the screen and keyboard remain an issue (productivity wise), which
is why Foleo is a brilliant device with great potential.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
Cpu(s): 28.4%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.3%id,  4.0%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st