Re: [News] GPLv3 Domination Foreseen, Projects Wait Until Their Next Version Release Before Embrace

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 16:30 : \____

>>> GPL3 to dominate LinuxWorld
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/2195689/gpl3-dominate-linuxworld
>>>
>>> BearItAll said this too.
>>
>> Okay, but if you read a large number of licences, a great many actually
>> say "GPLv2 or later".
>
> I haven't read any and IANAL, but all I know is that Microsoft brainwash
> machine has made a puppy like like Hitler.

The "or later" clause was the recommended formular from the FSF,
although they did not insist on it.  Their recommendation was so that if
they needed to make changes because unscrupulous people found loopholes,
then your existing software would be protected.  A great many projects
have used this wording, and so are automatically covered by the
provisions of GPLv3 anyway.

And still the sky hasn't fallen in...