Re: Lenovo preloading SUSE

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 22:11 : \____

> Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Aug 7, 2:36 pm, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> waterskidoo <water.ski...@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Good for Lennovo.  The REAL breakthrough, for Linux, would be when
>> Lennovo offers these machines with BOTH Linux and Windows on the same
>> machine.
>> Whether it's Xen, VMware, or Parallels, the combination of the two
>> would be a HUGE value add.

>>> You'd be supportive of the cross-licensing deals with Microsoft, then?
>>> I remain suspicious of your motives.
>>
>> We really don't know WHAT the was in those agreements.  It seems that
>> whatever it was, Microsoft was willing to pay OUT a substantial amount
>> of money.  At minimum, it kept Novell from running to the DOJ and
>> Judge Kollar-Kotelly and claiming that Microsoft had openly engaged in
>> direct violation of the exact wording of the court settlement, which,
>> by itself, might have been worth $350 million to Microsoft.
>
> Actually, we've a pretty good idea, as most of it was released during
> Novell's last SEC filing.

No, *** lots of *** redacted *** portions. Selectively disclosed...

>> Novell may have gotten other goodies as well, such as the ability to
>> use Microsoft application libraries (DLLs), with Linux systems such as
>> WINE and Crossover.
>
> I don't think that they did, it was about patents, not anything useful.

I'm beginning to worry and suspect that those OEMs (including Dell) pay
Microsoft for Linux. How can we be sure? Has Lenovo ever said anything that
might give away some clues?

>> The irony is that for many companies who do not want to make the
>> switch to Vista, Linux may be a desirable alternative.
>
> Indeed!

SUSE seems to be very popular among CIOs and business folks who want
a 'professional' solution. For some reason they go for brand name and assume
that an African work and a man in a Red Hat haven't enough legacy.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
 05:20:01 up 1 day,  8:13,  6 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.85, 1.24