Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Made in India

> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 06 August 2007 04:45 : \____

>>> Microsoft India centre working on Windows 7
>>
>> Total development cost: 100 rupees and a curry.
>>
>> Nothing like exploitation to save money, is there?
>
> It helps the bottom line, doesn't it? China is another place for expansion, not
> just for Microsoft, but for Intel as well. Fair enough, I'd say, but anyone
> who thinks that Windows is American should also take a quick look at that
> label on a Nike pair of shoes.
>
> A lot of money goes not to America, but to a handful of people with bank
> account in Ireland or Switzerland. Most people are easily fooled. 1 in 3
> Microsoft employees _in the United States_ is on a visa. That ratio appear to
> be consistently moving in a single direction.
>
> As I've said, nothing wrong with that! Just something to be /aware/ of...

This kind of financial engineering is common to a lot of major
corporations, the outsourcing of functions was rapidly followed by
"insourcing" of capabilities in geographies where talent is less expensive
to purchase.

Having said that, I find the idea that Windows NT7, currently being
written in India, will solve the world's problems with Windows, more
than a little laughable.  One big clue, though, is that anyone thinking
of moving to Vista (NT6) should just hold fire and wait until NT7 comes
along, as it surely cannot be worse than NT6/Vista was?

Still, it'll leave a great gaping hole in which Linux should be able to
move rapidly;  XP came along in 2002, I think, and the next version
isn't due until 2009-10, so it might not arrive until 2011.  This will
provide a gap of almost 10 years during which Linux should be able to
grow and expand successfully.

The only things really holding this back now are the software patent
problems in US/Australia/Canada/Mexico, and the unsavoury deals done
with Novell and co, coupled with the Tivoisation threat to Linux
freedom, although GPLv3 should deal with all of that.