Re: Singapore National Day Celebrations only for Microsoft Viewers?

____/ Roy Schestowitz on Monday 06 August 2007 08:24 : \____

> ____/ High Plains Thumper on Monday 06 August 2007 04:48 : \____
>
>> Following was sent recently and describes the strangehold
>> Microsoft has on the Internet.  Public viewing should not be tied
>> to a particular proprietary operating system and browser.
>>
>> http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/60606.html
>>
>> [quote]
>> harishpillay (harishpillay) wrote, @ 2007-08-05 23:36:00
>> NDP online viewing only for Windows users?
>> [This is sent to STForum <stforum@xxxxxxxxxx>]
>>
>> Dear Editor -
>>
>> I am baffled as to why it is that those of us who want to view
>> the 42nd National Day celebrations online have to have Microsoft
>> Windows to do so?
>>
>> I was trying to view
>> http://www.ndp.org.sg/infocomm/livecelebration/ and it says:
>>
>> "1. You may need to install ActiveX* components for viewing the
>> "Live Celebrations" if prompted.
>> * ActiveX is built on Microsoft's Component Object Model (COM),
>> and is used primarily to develop interactive content for the
>> World Wide Web.
>>
>> 2. The live coverage is best viewed using Internet Explorer"
>>
>> I run Firefox and use Linux exclusively. When there are plenty of
>> totally cross platform, free and open streaming video
>> technologies, like for example Theora (www.theora.org), it seems
>> that the technology decision makers decided on a closed,
>> platform-restricted and proprietary format as the way forward.
>> [/quote]
>
> This type of stupidity won't fly for much longer.
>
> http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/newsview.php?id=2170

Update: the URL is now broken. It was intended to show you that Linux-loaded
PCs are now sold in Singapore (and are available from large vendors).

I have come across quite a bit of news from Singapore recently. I suspect that
a poor vision of Vista leads many people to looking at alternatives. Actually,
studies have already shown this. A PCWorld article that keeps getting
republished (even 2 days ago) covers one such study which says that 86% (?) of
all businesses won't 'upgrade' to Vista. Instead, they look at alternative
operating systems.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 2  2007-06-16 18:32                   last=