[News] Fight for the Values of Free Software, Microsoft Hijacks "Open Source"

  • Subject: [News] Fight for the Values of Free Software, Microsoft Hijacks "Open Source"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 06:51:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Twisting the Meaning of 'Free'

,----[ Quote ]
| According to CESC Ltd chief information officer Subroto Das, “There is
| nothing called free software”. I beg to differ.
|
| In an article titled, Free software wars re-ignite (warning: many pop-ups),
| Indranil Chakraborty writes about the continuing war between the Free/Open
| Source Software movement and the non-free software camp. It really has not
| re-ignited; it continues.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/node/30

SpikeSource To Certify Open Source Apps on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| In another trip down the rabbit hole to where things are odd indeed,
| SpikeSource, Kim Polese's open source stack operation, is going to certify
| all of its SpikeIgnited open source applications on Windows.
`----

http://wireless.sys-con.com/read/411776_p.htm

Related:

Do Microsoft's licenses stand a chance of OSI approval?

,----[ Quote ]
| the OSI has been actively trying to reduce license proliferation and it could
| be that Microsoft’s licenses are seen as too similar to existing licenses to
| warrant separate approval.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/07/do_microsofts_l.html

Microsoft Inches Closer to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| On the software side, Microsoft today announced a partnership with open
| source solution vendor SpikeSource to eventually certify all of SpikeSource's
| SpikeIgnited solutions on the Microsoft Windows platform.
|
| The move could make dozens of popular open source solutions available to
| Windows users in a fully supported manner. SpikeSource solutions include the
| gambit of content management, CRM and collaboration solutions. The first
| SpikeIgnited solution being made Windows-certified is the Drupal content
| management solution. Throughout the second half of 2007, SpikeSource plans on
| rolling out additional offerings.

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]

`----