Re: [News] Proprietary Drivers Leave Vista/Windows Behind (in 32-bit World), Less Secure

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 04 August 2007 18:49 : \____

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g262/Clyzer/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg

>>> You may now point to the URLs/Msg-IDs of those posts, Mark Hadron
>>> It is amazing how similar your lies are to Hadron Quarks lunacy
>>>
>>> Jusat to sum it up for the mentally challenged (like you are an extreme
>>> example), it was argued that *not* having any drivers at all, as the GPL3
>>> would cause, is a "bad thing".
>>> After all, you can't force a vendor to open-source his drivers. The only,
>>> and deserved, answer would be "fuck you, idiot"
>>> The GPL3 would make the situation even worse. *Much* worse
>>>
>>> < snip >
>>
>> Why? Because of Tivoization? If I buy a piece of hardware, I can issue any
>> command and have the device obey it. Why should a device control the user?
>> Sounds like nanny device for spooks. If such a device exists, I do not
>> want it.
>>

> You are free to point to the URL which explains where Tivo does not release
> source code
> They *do* release the source. The obey GPL2 to the point

Yes, but the device itself will only run the blob created by TiVo from the
original source code. It makes it a look-but-don't-touch case where you can
modify the source, but then you must take it somewhere else. If all devices
were like this, then what good would it be when you improve the code (even fix
bugs)?

> While you are at it, please explain how the Tivo "controls the user".
> I am certain it is with that evil "GPL2 mind boggling device"

It spies on the user and there is no way around it. It would be nice to use
TiVo, which just a small PC, is all sorts of ways. Imagine buying a PC that
was build to only run Windows Vista SP1. Want an upgrade/change? Get a new
PC. :-(

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
Tasks: 112 total,   1 running, 111 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie