[News] Open Business Foundation Born, More Open Source Weirdness in the Register

  • Subject: [News] Open Business Foundation Born, More Open Source Weirdness in the Register
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:23:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Open source business model" takes on a new meaning with the Open Business
Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Business Foundation (OBF) operates on two premises: that the open
| source development community makes good business sense, and that small
| businesses can be more successful if they band together with each other to
| share resources of all kinds.
|
| [...]
|
| Whetsel says member companies also share source code from custom applications
| with each other, "so we can make our applications work together. From a
| proprietary standpoint, most people would look at that and get scared, but
| most of us are open source guys anyway."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118350

AK47: the open-source weapon that took the world by storm

,----[ Quote ]
| That designation went out of official use in 1959, but to this day “AK47” is
| probably the world's most widely-known gun name. Just as open-source Linux -
| the "communist" software, according to Steve Ballmer - has made Linus
| Torvalds famous, the genuinely communist open-source AK has given Mikhail
| Kalashnikov a profile at least as high. The AK47 and its successor designs
| are the most widely-used firearms on the face of the planet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/03/ak_47_60_years/

"Open Source" losing focus.