[News] Acer Pressured to Offer Linux Laptops in Australia

  • Subject: [News] Acer Pressured to Offer Linux Laptops in Australia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:48:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Acer gives mixed message on Linux line-up [in Australia]

,----[ Quote ]
| The Taiwanese company came out of practically nowhere to take the mantle of
| third-largest PC vendor in the world in the first quarter of 2007. Its
| shipments for the second quarter were also impressive, up 55 percent
| worldwide, the most of any PC maker.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Acer-gives-mixed-message-on-Linux-line-up/0,130061702,339280893,00.htm

Acer's Linux laptops are already available in Asia, parts of continental
Europe, the US, and (soon enough) in the UK as well.

Related:

Acer clarifies position on Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| On Thursday Acer contacted ZDNet.co.uk with the following statement: "At this
| moment in time Acer UK does not have a PC available with Linux pre-loaded,
| but we are looking at introducing one in the future."
|
| This appears to represent a reversal of Acer's previous statements on the
| matter, which suggested that the manufacturer had no plans to sell PCs here
| with a pre-installed open-source operating system.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288366,00.htm?r=5

The Cheap Acer Aspire 4710 and Multimedia Aspire 5920 Gemstones Available in
the U.S

| Acer Aspire 4710: is a budget laptop that can come with either Linux OS or
| Vista Home premium according to mobilewhack.
`----

http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2007/08/cheap-acer-aspire-4710-and-multimedia.html

Acer and Ubuntu? What Acer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Naaay. No demand? If so, why is Acer shipping to EMEA (Europe, the Middle
| East and Africa) at least 11 configurations with Linpus Linux instead of
| Windows?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/07/31/15/27/12-acer-and-ubuntu-what-acer-

Acer TravelMate 5310-300508 Quick Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/07/30/15/32/53-acer-travelmate-5310-300508-quic

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/newsview.php?id=2170

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
| remote control."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

Acer revises down this year's revenue growth projection

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer Inc yesterday revised downward its revenue growth to less than 40
| percent, citing a weaker-than-expected impact from the release of
| Microsoft's Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2007/06/15/2003365394

Now get a laptop for just Rs 20k!

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows fanatics or those used to the MS operating system, however may be
| disappointed as it runs on a Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/jul/07acer.htm

Acer Aspire 3680 Series with Linux OS in India Only $400

,----[ Quote ]
| The good part is that it is a full laptop and even its wireless
| network works well.
`----

http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2007/06/acer-aspire-3680-series-with-linux-os.html

I've installed Linux, now give me my Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139627