[News] [Rival] Broken System and Corruption Approve Lock-in for Entire State

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Broken System and Corruption Approve Lock-in for Entire State
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 04:23:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mass. and OOXML: Two Feet, No Feathers

,----[ Quote ]
| We learn lessons and move on to the next battle. Just as GPLv2 required GPLv3
| to patch perceived vulnerabilities, we'll all have much work to do cleaning
| up after OOXML. Certainly JTC1 Directives around Fast Tracks will need to be
| gutted and rewritten. Also, the vague and contradictory ballot rules in JTC1,
| and the non-existent Ballot Resolution Meeting procedures will need to be
| addressed.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/08/two-feet-no-feathers.html

Mass. Surrenders to Microsoft's Open XML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you may still be wondering why this is such a big deal. Aren't ODF
| and Open XML both open standards? Does it really matter?
|
| Well, yes, they are different. ODF is a real open standard. I can use it. You
| can use it. I could write an office program that uses it as its default
| format. You could do the same, and we'd both be able to read and write each
| other's documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Open XML is open in name
| only.
|
| I think it's telling that Open XML documents aren't even compatible with
| older versions of Microsoft's own Office suite programs. If you want to read
| and write to Open XML in Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP or Office 2003,
| you'll need interoperability pack download from Microsoft. Office 97 users?
| You're out of luck.

New MA Governor Proposes New - and Smaller - IT Bond Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for the Information Technology Division (ITD) in
| particular, and state government in general, the new bill would
| provide only a fraction of the funding that would have been provided
| under last year's legislation. As proposed by Patrick, the bond would
| offer only $95 million, rather than the $250 million originally
| proposed. According to MHT, $75 million would be dedicated to
| planning and procurement, a further $15 million would fund a
| statewide system to mange performance and measure efficiency of
| agency databases, and $4.9 million would be given to the state
| attorney general's offices for IT projects.
|
| As a result, it the new bill will fall far short of accomplishing
| what had long been hoped by the ITD. This follows on the heels of
| damage already done, as stated by Gutierrez in his letter of
| resignation
|
| [...]
|
| What does this portend for ODF in Massachusetts, and what does
| it tell us about Deval Patrick's plans for the future?
|
| First, here's what I don't know: as you may recall, both
| Gutierrez and Microsoft lobbyist Brian Burke were appointed
| to a transition working group formed to advise governor-elect
| Patrick on IT matters.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070315084848194

Q&A: Former Mass. CIO feels 'bittersweet pride' after battles with Microsoft,
legislature

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.
|
|    Quinn:  I believe that the ODF decision will stand. I believe MS
|    will continue to do anything and everything it can to stop it. And I
|    know my seat wasn't even empty and they (MS) took another shot at
|    the title, to no avail. This horse is out of the barn and I see no
|    way for it to go back in. Remember, all we are asking for was and is
|    for Microsoft to commit to open and the standards process; so
|    everyone looks really bad if the plug gets pulled at this juncture.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

The Sorry State of Massachusetts
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2006111603531029

Microsoft offers schools in Mass. free software (to stop ODF adoption)
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515