[News] Widening Gap Between "Open Source" and "Free Software"

  • Subject: [News] Widening Gap Between "Open Source" and "Free Software"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:29:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Attracting Developers With Open Licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Beyond that, many industry watchers, including myself, wonder just how much
| relevancy the OSI will have in the open source community if it were to
| actually approve open source licenses from the Evil Empire itself. There are
| already signs of strengthening polarization between the free software and
| open source software communities; I have little doubt this could tip over to
| an outright flame war,
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3692076

Here is an open source terminology abuse...

Open-source SourceLabs bets on 'SASH' plus Tomcat stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Although hyped for years, corporate adoption of open-source Java middleware
| is just starting to happen, says SourceLabs CEO Byron Sebastian.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9753058-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

RISC OS... seems benign

Open source Organizer pondered

,----[ Quote ]
| "I would, however, be happy to release the source under some form of open
| source licence. Care would have to be taken to protect the brand and ensure
| that there aren't forks with the same name but incompatible file formats -
| but we can discuss that if we decide it's worthwhile."
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact2012.html

'Open Source' is not quite so at Sun...

Sun unveils open mobile platform