[News] Inquirer Evaluates Lighweight Linux/BSD Options

  • Subject: [News] Inquirer Evaluates Lighweight Linux/BSD Options
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 04:11:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The INQ takes a dip into open sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have some older kit laying about and need to setup something for your
| brother-in-law to use, try Puppy Linux. It should work on very basic
| hardware.
|
| Give PC BSD a go if you have some newer hardware, want to setup a server, or
| a rock-solid workstation. It has some minor limitations, but looks and acts
| very good.
|
| 64 Studio is a solution desperately in need of a problem. If you are so bent,
| just install Debian and get the packages you need from the repos.

Linux Lite: Small distros for old machines

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons why one would get Linux is to make use of old hardware.
| Windows Vista, with all the DRMs built in, is bloated beyond belief,
| especially with the shiny "Aero" effects. Pretty but useless.
|
| [...]
|
| -Absolute Linux: Absolute is a lightweight desktop (it boasts an
| idle RAM usage of only 26MB with certain services disabled), but
| the CD comes with an enormous number of programs. It uses IceWM,
| and is based on Slackware.
|
| -DeLi (Desktop Lite): A small, independent distribution. The CD
| image is only about 130MB, and it is designed to run on really
| old machines- it can run on 8MB of RAM. Also uses IceWM.
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/05/linux-lite-small-distros-for-old.html

SolutionBase: Puppy Linux teaches an old dog new tricks

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6171315.html#38525734715815585367