[News] Patent Trolls Tries to Kill PS3, XBox360 Adjusting Price to Survive

  • Subject: [News] Patent Trolls Tries to Kill PS3, XBox360 Adjusting Price to Survive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:16:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Company Sues Sony, Wants PlayStation 3s 'Impounded And Destroyed'

,----[ Quote ]
| Parallel Processing Corp. is asking a federal court to order Sony to destroy
| its PlayStation 3 videogame consoles, which PPC claims infringes on its
| patents for microprocessor technology.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070801/tc_cmp/201202099

Selling Sony's PS3 is "illegal in Argentina"

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's local branch has this humble correspondent's e-mail address, so I
| suspect they will let us know when this PS3 ordeal comes to an end and people
| can buy the console with a proper local warranty and the whole shebang.

Microsoft Apparently Cutting Prices On Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent Microsoft Financial Analysts meeting in Redmond, Robbie Bach,
| President of the Entertainment and Devices Division, dodge the issue: “We
| have very specific plans on what we will do about pricing, but we are not
| going to talk about it today,” he said.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/07/31/microsoft-apparently-cutting-prices-on-xbox-360/?mod=yahoobarrons
http://tinyurl.com/2wns89

Related:

Linux on the PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| After a lot of back and forth I finally got Linux installed on my
| PS3. Ended up installing Yellowdog Linux.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/view/uraeus/2007/05/21/0

PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
| to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
| today's games.
`----

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

Opera Desktop Team: Approaching 9.2 [with PPC Support]

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important is that we've fixed some issues with Flash 9
| on Linux. This means that you can now watch YouTube video
| fullscreen! (And close annyoing Flash ads.)
|
| [...]
|
| ...we have now ppc-linux .6 packages: that means that they work
| (okay, should work) on your PS3! -- if you installed Linux on it.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/03/30/approaching-9-2

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of
| Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about the slightly shaky footage, since I was
| installing and holding the camera at the same time.
`----

http://fatpenguinblog.com/?p=798

Yellow Dog Linux launches for PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the software is released for download on the public mirrors, it will
| be free of charge.
`----

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6162316.html?sid=6162316&sid=6162316

Microsoft deletes mass Xbox 360 crashing claims from Forza 2 forums

,----[ Quote ]
| In what appears to be an effort to conceal the over 900 replies gamers
| provided on the official Forzamotorsport.net forums about Forza Motorsport 2
| crashing on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has deleted the long thread, now stating
| that it’s “exclusive content for registered forum users” only. However, the
| thread was removed entirely, even to registered members.
`----

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/my_images/GameRush_Entertainment_Microsoft_deletes_mass_Xbox_360_crashing_claims_from_Forza_2_forums_News.htm

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| MarketWatch.com reports that Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's
| Entertainment and Devices division, sold $6.2 million of Microsoft
| stock just prior to announcing that Microsoft was going to have to
| extend XBox 360 warranties to three years because of extensive
| failures. The filings note that this was not part of any
| scheduled diversification or selling program; this was a
| conscious, unscheduled sale by the guy in charge of releasing
| news that could affect the value of Microsoft stock.
|
| [...]
|
| Insider trading is a very serious violation of the law; just
| ask Martha Stewart, who served five months in prison for
| avoiding losses of $43,000 through trades that just had suspicious
| timing (no insider trading was actually proven). This is $6.3
| million that went straight into Robbie Bach's pocket.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
and the CB radio of our decade

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html