[News] Patent Mess Leads to Fearful Industry, Leads Microsoft to Settlement

  • Subject: [News] Patent Mess Leads to Fearful Industry, Leads Microsoft to Settlement
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:49:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[Microsoft guy] The Coming Software Patent Apocalypse

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a hullabaloo recently about Microsoft rattling their software
| patent sabers. Sadly, there's nothing notable about it; this is simply
| business as usual for everyone in the software industry. Software companies
| are forced to build huge stockpiles of software patents solely to be used as
| deterrents.
|
| [...]
|
| Something has to be done, or else we truly are staring down a coming software
| patent apocalypse.

How a Patent Ruling Is Changing Court Cases

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, a federal judge in San Francisco who previously had allowed a
| patent-infringement lawsuit to proceed against RealNetworks Inc. changed
| course and dismissed the case, citing the Supreme Court's April ruling in KSR
| v. Teleflex. The case is believed to be the first in which a trial-court
| judge has reversed his position and dismissed a case in the defendant's
| favor, citing the KSR decision....
|
| "The Supreme Court has made it clear what it thinks," the judge said at a
| hearing in the case. "Patents are being issued on obvious inventions, and it
| tightened the reins."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118584454182682899.html

Microsoft Reaches Settlement on EOLAS Patent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/07/microsoft_reach_1.html