[News] New Linux Scheduler Will Evolve to Improve Gaming Experience

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Scheduler Will Evolve to Improve Gaming Experience
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 03:11:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux: CFS and 3D Gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the concerns expressed about the Completely Fair Scheduler were
| reports that it might not handle 3D games as well as the SD scheduler.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14023

Related:

CFS scheduler to appear in Linux kernel 2.6.23

,----[ Quote ]
| And also credit where credit's due, Con Kolivas was the first one to
| prove via RSDL/SD that 'fair scheduling' is possible and that it
| results in better desktop scheduling.
`----

http://www.linuxinsight.com/cfs-scheduler-to-appear-in-linux-kernel-2.6.23.html

Linux: Linus On CFS vs SD

,----[ Quote ]
| "People who think SD was 'perfect' were simply ignoring reality," Linus
| Torvalds began in a succinct explanation as to why he chose the CFS scheduler
| written by Ingo Molnar instead of the SD scheduler written by Con Kolivas.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14008

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[MS MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
| natively under Windows XP Professional.
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx

Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux