Re: An Early Look at the Next Sidux Linux and GNOME Online Desktop

On 2007-07-31, wexfordpress <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> On Jul 31, 10:27 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Screenshots of Sidux 2007-03 preview1
> 52
>
> Quick question: What are the advantages/drawbacks of Sidux compared to
> e.g., Knoppix?
>
> John Culleton

Sidux uses Debian experimental and unstable, so it's more on the
leading edge of Debian. Plus it's already packaged for it, so most
everything is/should be vetted already.

The downside of that is sometimes a package slips in that can bring
some things down. Sidux has been good about avoiding that in the past,
most notably back when it was Kanotix. But accidents happen, especially
if you deal with unstable things. The shortest I can recall having a
release of this installed was a month. I was experimenting with a lot
of things at the time. I think I moved on quickly because of some
oddities with my video or something, an item that gave me mild problems
with several distros at one point in time.

Knoppix was one I liked using live. But once it was installed it didn't
stay long because it always died during an update. I think the longest
I ever had a release installed was 3 weeks. And that was because I only
updated things twice in that time.

--
Democracy, where we all get what the majority deserves.