Re: [News] Freespire is Already Falling Behind

BearItAll wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Freespire aspires, but fails to inspire
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I personally liked Freespire, but it may not be the best choice for a
>> | person coming straight from Windows, as I found some previous Linux
>> | experience necessary in order to fully enjoy it. For those users, I
>> | recommend giving SimplyMEPIS, PCLinuxOS, or Stux Linux a look. I can run
>> | any of these without ever opening a terminal thanks to their graphical
>> | configurations and package management systems.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/118615
>>

> I see Freespire and Linspire the other way round to that writer.
>
> I think it is extremely easy to use with no Linux experience necessary. But
> you are very likely to out-grow it.
>
> It is very much a client, could easily be argued that it is too far that
> way. Many of the things we regularly use on Linux, usually in the
> background, are services, the lack of these services is eventually a brick
> wall in the Freespire/Linspire world.
>
> This comment doesn't come into play if you also have a server, because that
> will take over the services that are missing. Which in many cases is
> exactly what the user wants. No point having a server sitting idle, make
> the bugger work for a living taking time consuming or labour intensive
> tasks off the client.
>
> But for many of us, even on our laptops, we want some services local, for
> when we are out of the office etc.

One can go into the synaptic console and change the repository
addresses, and become any of the Debian based distros. Load a new
kernel, even!

That is so far beyond what many users know. It is simple to do, and
simple instructions are in a http://google.com/linux search and on most
webpages for the distros.

Or, simply insert a LiveCDrom and click the install icon on desktop.

http://www.mepis.org is a great distro, available for 32 and 64bit
systems.  My install of Mepis on an AMD Sempron 3000+ took 9 minutes.