Re: [News] RIAA Targets Colleges, Get Zapped by Class Action Lawsuit

[H]omer wrote:

>> If you buy a CD for $20, it is likely that $4 is taxable, another $6
>> goes to the record shop and then, officer in the 99th floor spilt the
>> rest with the actual artist, who will be lucky to receive $5 from the
>> $20
>
> 25 percent?
>
> Are you sure it's that high? I heard that it was only a few cents per sale.
>
> Anyway, I hope the RIAA get their asses well and truly kicked in this
> lawsuit. The best outcome would be if they were forced to disband
> completely, and compensate all those they intimidated with their thug
> tactics.

Lots of us come here, and we spout our enthusiastic BS without any
factual basis.

Yeah, sometimes our advocasy overtakes our brain functions.

The split for the performers runs into the upper nickel per album, for
many captive to the moguls.  Thus the huge move to Creative Commons, or
to establishing their own label!  Thus, the need for them to go on the
road and perform at concerts.

"Popular" does not always equate to "wealthy".  Thus, the Rolling Stones
concerts, the Willie Nelson concerts, and the hundreds of others.  You
might notice that the large percentage of CDs for sale at the door are
of other concerts, because the performers actually make dollars on each,
not the normal less than a nickel!

The RIAA actually represents the big label's interests, not the
recording artists, who see little if any money from settlements.

The RIAA is using illegal tactics, as IP addresses do not resolve to
specific individuals for long, even on most wired networks.

Read some:

 Courtney Love on miniscule royalties for the Band:
 http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/

   http://www.boycott-riaa.com/
 http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/30/antiriaa_lawyer_no_l.html

Google for more. Recording Contract   or  RIAA or Anti-RIAA