[News] Analysing IBM's Deals with Novell and Sun Microsystems

  • Subject: [News] Analysing IBM's Deals with Novell and Sun Microsystems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:43:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun set on server business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jonathan Schwartz has done a great favor for his own customers, and may
| increase software revenues down the road. But all his spin is really lipstick
| on a pig.
|
| In many ways, Sun is becoming Red Hat.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1336

Mark Webbink (Red Hat): Connecting Dots

,----[ Quote ]
| First, IBM and Novell announced a new partnership on the desktop and in
| relation to IBM's Websphere Community Edition. Aimed directly at Red Hat's
| JBoss Application Server, this move is fascinating in that it represents the
| prodigal son returning to the IBM fold, apparently with complete foregiveness
| for entering that deal with Microsoft. There is no question that this move by
| IBM will challenge Red Hat/JBoss. And as for the great offense that IBM took
| with Novell for cozying up to Microsoft, all you have to do is look at the
| next event.
|
| The Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council sent out their invite for
| upcoming events this week. One of those events is entitled: Microsoft &
| Novell - Building Bridges. On its face you would expect this to be one of
| those Microsoft - Novell events trying to justify and promote their
| relationship. However, this invitation was more interesting given the session
| sponsors: IBM and the Choate law firm. (Sorry, that little tidbit is not
| available on the MTLC website; it was included in the e-mail invitation.) So
| here we have IBM sponsoring a session that attempts to rationalize and buy
| into the theory that the Microsoft - Novell deal is actually promoting
| interoperability.
`----

http://walkingwithelephants.blogspot.com/2007/08/connecting-dots.html

Related:

IBM Expands Support for the Solaris OS on x86 Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The agreement announced today is an extension of IBM's existing support for
| the Solaris OS on select IBM BladeCenter servers, and exemplifies IBM's
| commitment to offering clients the widest choice of operating systems
| available in the industry, as well as Sun's commitment to offer customers a
| wider choice of systems for the Solaris platform.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070816/aqth080.html?.v=16

Wind River is on the block: IBM is lead buyer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/2007/08/wind_river_is_o.php