[News] Grandparents Have Vista Replaced by Debian GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Grandparents Have Vista Replaced by Debian GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:49:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It was time for a new computer for my Grandparents. Their ancient Windows 98
| PC had become so slow that it was unusable. The replacement, an inexpensive
| Acer PC, came with Windows Vista preinstalled. It was up to me to set up the
| new computer and support it. So I decided to wipe out Vista with a Debian 4
| base install and set up an easy to use environment for my Grandparents. In
| this multi-part series I will tell you about how I did it, starting with my
| reasons for choosing Linux over Vista.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/17/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-1/

Related:

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
| They say its for geeks, they say its for nerds, they say its for those
| whose pinkie finger has the imprint of the enter key tattooed on it. We
| say its for your grandmother ! Yes my friends, I kid you not, for all
| of those who are afraid to dip their little toe into the great Linux-Lake
| let us reassure you : If your grandmother can do it ? So can you. Before
| we start , let me clarify : We are not talking about turning your
| Linux machine into a clustered database server with SQL, PHP, Apache,
| Samba and what have you. We are talking about the advantages of using
| Linux .. as a desktop.
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/

Desktop Adapted for Dad

,----[ Quote ]
| I set my father's computer up with a GNU/Linux operating system. One
| basic feature of Linux is that each user has their own login to the
| system, and normally you do not login to the system as the super-user.
| This limits what my father is able to do on the system as he is not the
| super-user. To my surprise my father was delighted that he was restricted
| in that way, because then he knows that he cannot break the system by
| accident.
|
| To conclude I would say that my experience with my father and other
| inexperienced computer users convinces me that the modern desktop software
| is not obvious but that with basic training it is very easy to use. I
| firmly believe that anyone can use a computer, but it is essential that
| users have a properly configured desktop suitable for their use, as one
| size does not fit all.

[H]omer:

,----[ Quote ]