[News] Linux Set to Become the Dominant Operating System -- The Register

  • Subject: [News] Linux Set to Become the Dominant Operating System -- The Register
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:39:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Could Linux become the dominant OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| The trends suggest that Linux will become the dominant OS - the commodity
| OS - both for the PC and the server, to the eventual detriment of Microsoft's
| revenues.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/

Even Microsoft acknowledges this with its attempt to derail and subvert.

CRN seems to agree.

Linux Gets A Lift

,----[ Quote ]
| The effects of the groundbreaking moves are more symbolic than tangible:
| Solution providers say the path to a broader customer embrace of desktop
| Linux remains strewn with obstacles. But by committing to bundle, sell and
| support systems without Microsoft's ubiquitous Windows, Dell and Lenovo have
| cracked the door open a bit further for the challengers to Microsoft's
| desktop dominance.
`----

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/201800643?cid=CRNFeed

Related:

Is the era of Microsoft ending?

,----[ Quote ]
| But in time they will. In time we’ll look back on the Linux-Microsoft war and
| wonder what all the fuss was about.
|
| That time is coming sooner than anyone in Redmond thinks.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1313

The Year Of The Small Distro

,----[ Quote ]