Re: [News] MySQL Explains Decision on Latest Source Code Availability, Open Source Myths Debunked

____/ [H]omer on Friday 17 August 2007 15:00 : \____

>> MySQL defends paid tarball decision
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | MySQL has defended a decision to end free community access to the latest
>> | source code for its popular database in an attempt to snag paying
>> | customers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/08/14/mysql_tarball_community/
>
> They must continue to make the source available, or risk breaching the
> GPL. If they want to "pull a cdrecord", then we'll just fork. Simple.
>
> Meanwhile, they sill provide CVS access, and then there's this:
>
> http://www.dorsalsource.org
>
> I'm glad MySQL is reaping the rewards of their success, but they need to
> remember who put them there in the first place.

Wall Street? (IPO)

Either way, one could just pay for their sources and dump nightly in a
different (untrusted) site just for spite.

Microsoft loves competition.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."
                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO