[News] Radical Views on Windows and Linux Text Editors

  • Subject: [News] Radical Views on Windows and Linux Text Editors
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:02:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
What does your favorite text editor say about you?

,----[ Quote ]
| Gedit
|
| You are a bit like the Notepad user, but you use Ubuntu or Fedora instead of
| Windows. Gedit is the default, and that’s what you use. It is completely
| sufficient for editing small config files, and you never really needed stuff
| like syntax highlighting. It never occurred to you that you could use
| anything else. The KDE practice of starting names of all their applications
| with k annoys you.
|
| Microsoft Word
|
| Microsoft Word is not a text editor. You should not be allowed near a
| computer. In fact you are the cancer that is killing the internet. Kill
| yourself.
`----

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/index.php?p=1843

Watch this Windows user from ComputerWorld blaming Linux for not running a
Windows (win32) application well enough. Linux is not Windows.

Linux text editors: Do any make the grade?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, did I find the single killer text editor I'd been seeking? No, but I
| uncovered several good applications that should meet the requirements of
| users with different needs. If I switch to Linux full time, I'm confident I
| could stitch together a couple of separate apps that would largely do what I
| need.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9030879&pageNumber=1

Related:

Poll shows majority favor Vi as their editor of choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Two weeks back, this blog had run a poll which asked which was your favourite
| editor. The poll was open for voting roughly for a period of two weeks or 14
| days. And nearly 750 people participated in the poll.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/08/poll-shows-majority-favor-vi-as-their.html

The Church of Emacs

,----[ Quote ]
| Emacs is my OS and Linux its device driver
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/178http://www.raiden.net/images/titles/title-letter-space.jpg

The Text Editors of KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Kate is somewhat of the all in one "Swiss army knife" of basic text
| editors. It's got a little bit of everything for everyone that you'd
| need in a basic text editing interface. The next step up is to go
| directly to a full blown word processor. There really is a
| fascinating number of things you can do with Kate, not the
| least of which is to use it to do basic perl and php coding.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=235&pid=2

Chat it up in Emacs with IRC modes

,----[ Quote ]