Re: [News] Watermarking Could Put an End to DRM

  • Subject: Re: [News] Watermarking Could Put an End to DRM
  • From: waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:35:48 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:ZHheQdSkA8tfRsQQsPZVhjll3fQ=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2007-08-16, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could audio watermarking could help make MP3s free?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Silberstein says that the record industry is finally starting to accept that
>| overhauling the business model is the way to move forward. How does he know?
>| Because of the many record companies,
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=545954189&rid=-50

It's been proved time and time again that copy protection schemes
do not work and in truth really only harm the legitimate user.
I know of several users of professional video editing programs
that actually use cracked versions even though they are legally
licensed to use the programs.
Why?
Dongles going south at the worst time.
PACE copy protection scheme that confounds hdisk backups
and defrag programs.
And other PITA reasons like on-line challenge schemes that
don't allow copy/paste and require 58989 characters to
be typed in correctly. Well, sort of.