Re: Paul Allen Is The Good One...Right?

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Wednesday 15 August 2007 06:10 : \____

> Paul Allen...hippie, Grateful Dead fanatic, billionaire.
>
> He's the "good one" right?   The real computer geek, earthy type of
> guy who just wanted to make great software and some pizza and beer
> money, played against the manic, type A, take no prisoners approach of
> Gates and Ballmer.
>
> Well, suddenly, as Allen buys up real estate and businesses non-stop,
> it seems like it was Paul Allen's masterminding Karl Rove that drove
> Gates' George Bush act to success.
>
> Case in point, Vulcan Enterprises will now "sell back" land it bought
> from the city of Seattle at a much higher price than it paid for it
> when the City decided "it didn't need it".   Yet now it needs it, and
> Paul Allen gets to tax us for it??
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/327633_southlakeunion15.html
>
> "In 2001, the city sold Vulcan eight parcels of land in South Lake
> Union, which it had bought decades ago for a freeway project that was
> never built, for $20.2 million. Then-Mayor Paul Schell planned only
> minor transportation fixes to the clogged Mercer corridor.
>
> Since Mayor Greg Nickels took office, he has championed a $120 million
> plan to widen Mercer Street into a two-way, six-lane boulevard and
> turn Valley Street into a narrower, more pedestrian-friendly lane. "

His whole computer project seemed to have vanished and fallen into oblivion.

Review: the Little Laptop That Can't

,----[ Quote ]
| I wanted to write this review on the FlipStart -- I really did. But
| after a few sentences, my wrists hurt, my thumbs felt clumsier
| than ever, my eyes were scrunched and my shoulders were hunched.
| When the pricey FlipStart hits the market the last week of March,
| I bet I won't be the only average consumer who takes a pass.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070322/tech_test_flipstart.html?.v=1

At least it was good for *something*:

Linux and FlipStart

,----[ Quote ]
| On the subject of Linux, one reader recently asked whether Paul Allen's new
| FlipStart miniature computer had been tested for use with the open-source
| operating system...
|
|       "We have tested various flavors of Linux on FlipStart and it will
|       run just fine..."
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/113347.asp

I wonder is Allen talks to his old 'mates' from Redmond at all.

Prisoner of Redmond: Yet Another Way Paul Allen Isn�t Like You or Me

,----[ Quote ]
| During one of those last long nights working to deliver DOS 2.0 in early
| 1983, I am told that Paul Allen heard Gates and Ballmer discussing his health
| and talking about how to get his Microsoft shares back if Allen were to die.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20060330_000890.html

The man might be dying, so Bill and Steve talk about the man's money.

Gangsters.

Roy S. Schestowitz   | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session