Re: [News] Windows Starts Learning from GNU/Linux

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 15 August 2007 05:09 : \____

>> Did Microsoft just patent sudo?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | 1985, huh? And when did this Microsoft patent happen? It was filed in
>> | 2000. Well gee, that doesn't make sense. How'd they get the patent?
>> | It certainly falls under the category of "obvious" if there's prior
>> | art such as sudo.
>> |
>> | What makes this whole thing funny, though, is something I saw a couple
>> | days ago. Head over to Builder-AU and listen to Peter Watson from
>> | Microsoft. He says,
>> |
>> |   "User Account Control is a great idea and strategically
>> |   a direction that sort of all operating systems and all technology
>> |   should be heading down"
>> |
>> | Excuse me? Does he really believe this is all Microsoft's great new
>> | idea?
>> |
>> | In the end, this seems like a patent that Microsoft will hold up and
>> | say "we have a patent and Linux is violating it!"
>
> No doubt this is one of the infamous "235 infringements". Did Microsoft
> steal the other 234 as well, one wonders?

They just stole some numbers from someone's report. Some say they never counted
anything and the person who wrote that report said that Ballmer flipped it
upside down to say the very oppsite of what was intended. The whole
number/count story is well documented in BoycottNovell and I can't recall all
the details. One more nugget of information is the fact Microsoft told the
Register (?) that is does not produce evidence because "it's too much
paperwork".

Another 200+ patent lawsuit threat was fired back in 2004 when Asian
government/s said it/they would move to Linux. Microsoft plays like the mafia.

It points a gun at the kneecap, but it doesn't say that the gun has no bullets
in it.

Boy, I wish Microsoft operated from Germany where there are laws against it. So
many executives would be in prison now.

        "Don't drop ya' soap, Sweaty..."

Microsoft loves competition.
"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."
                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President