Re: [News] [Rival] Micrososoft Admits Screwing up with Windows XP

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 14 August 2007 12:46 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:
>>
>>> Windows 'security' (animated GIF):
>>>
>>> http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/f/5/cf527897d7579046ba468c7834cc7e14.gif
>>
>> I'm tempted to say that's quite ingenious, that he figured out how to
>> bypass the password prompt and launch Windows anyway ... if it wasn't
>> for the fact that you don't need to go through that elaborate hoopla,
>> you just hit the cancel button and you're in (it's clearly Windows 9x).
>
> Missed the first second, where he tries the cancel button - must be
> logging in via a domain controller. If anything, that makes this hack an
> even bigger indictment of Windows' poor security.
>
>> It does illustrate the point quite well though; Microsoft's "security"
>> is all skin deep. That's as true today with Vista, as it ever was.

The following was published some days ago in APC Magazine.

Microsoft man says too much security is bad thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Riley, senior security strategist at Microsoft said that too much
| security was a bad thing and when the cost of mitigating the risk outweighs
| the cost of that which you are trying to protect, it all gets a bit silly.

Microsoft mindset:

Passwords: just another bureaucratic annoyance

,----[ Quote ]
| This was told to me, along with examples of other security policy lapses, by
| an IT consultant who works for government agencies.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/passwords_just_another_beauroc.html

Assuming your users are stupid and just letting it be is a sure route to
zombies leading to 100 billion SPAM and DDOS attacks per day. Never mind data
theft, time being wasted, and other related damages. The EULA (which
the 'stupid' user won't read) makes Microsoft unaccountable wrt user + Web,
i.e. all those that are connected to the user (infectious factor!). Can anyone
refuse the user at all? If computer = windows, what will the alternaive be? It
is a good thinking that Linux is spreading. Still waiting for H-P's big
announcement...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
Cpu(s): 27.5%us,  4.6%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.4%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st