[News] Most Companies Already Moving to Virtualised Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] Most Companies Already Moving to Virtualised Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:01:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Survey finds most using virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Rackspace sponsored a study of 245 customers of its managed hosting business
| and found that 57% of their internal infrastructures were virtualized. Of
| those surveyed, 72% said they would host business-critical applications on
| virtual machines.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1406484997&rid=-50

More diversity in Microsoft shops.

Related:

Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Software like Parallels Desktop for the Mac or Microsoft's own Virtual
| PC for Windows allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously.
| When it announced licensing rules for Vista last year, Microsoft said
| that only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate could run as guest
| operating systems. The company said virtualization presents inherent
| security risks and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS
| could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses
| would employ the tactic.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized on top
| of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source software lab,
| said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here Aug. 7.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Linux ready to play with rivals

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell'S chief technology officer sees a huge future in Linux virtualisation
| for the once-dominant PC manufacturer.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,,22237661-5013045,00.html?from=public_rss

Virtualization--threat or menace?

,----[ Quote ]
| But I think this cat is well and truly out of the bag now, and I see no other
| reason for virtualization to give Linux an edge over Windows (or vice versa);
| the relative merits of each platform are still preserved, even in a
| virtualization-rich environment.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9758794-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

LinuxWorld Expands to the Virtual Realm

,----[ Quote ]
| If this week's Linux World were to be summed up under a single theme, it
| would be penguins gone virtual.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3693681

The Year of Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that Windows will continue to succumb to Linux in the data
| center, MySQL and Postgres will continue to win projects that once
| fell to Oracle and DB/2.
`----

http://virtualization.sys-con.com/read/162110_p.htm

Virtualization: Linux's killer app

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about it. Even Microsoft supports running Linux on its Virtual
| Server product. Why would it do that? Wouldn't an OS partitioning
| technology, such as that used by OpenVz or Sun Solaris, be more in
| keeping with the kind of homogeneous environments that Microsoft
| would like to see? Why would Microsoft invest its resources to
| support a virtual machine technology that can only open the
| door to Linux in the datacenter?
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/19/08OPopenent_1.html

Virtualisation gets trendy