Re: Ballmer and Microsoft on "Competition"

flyer wrote:
> In article <21we8a2n8.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>> waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> On 2007-08-12, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's about the size of it!
>>> I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the MS executive briefing room.
>>>
>> Crikey. I had had hopes for you. As it is you seem to be spiralling into
>> paranoid zealot territory.
>>

> He's smart as hell is all.

Now, with the SCO ruling, MS has room to worry.

You see, the Judge has ruled Novell is copyright holder of Unix and
Unixware. Plus, had the right to tell SCO it couldn't sue Autozone,
Chrysler-Benz, or IBM.

PLUS, as copyright holder, with a royalty agreement from SCO, for which
they haven't been paid, lo, these many years, by SCO, who sold licenses
and also 'certificates' exempting lawsuits, Novell had and has the Right
to set the prices, and to invalidate any exclusionary provisions that
SCO provided to third parties, without Novell's input!

So, when Microsoft paid $30 million to SCO for Unix licenses, that was
probably only a teensy bit of what Novell can go back and require from M$!

I believe the proper amount to be charged through SCO to Microsoft,
(and, the reason M$ should be sweating blood right now!) would be $30
BILLION!

Whether or not the courts would rule in favor of Novell for that charge
is something to speculate!  But, it could happen!  Just the TCP/IP stack
and a few ports from the 5 Universities who sued Microsoft and won in
2005, cost Microsoft $105 Million!  That included past royalties and
'estimated' future royalties up through 2009.

But, we are talking Unix as included in all the Microsoft offerings
since NT, through 2000, XP, to Vista!  Yep, unix is embedded in there!

How the hell do you think those Oses access and control all the Unix
ports, stacks?  Why even have, and use, and pay for, those Unix Ports
and the TCP/IP Stack?

Hey, it is all speculation, until the judge drops the gavel on the last
appeal...