Re: SCO to Appeal? Executives Have No Comment.

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Saturday 11 August 2007 18:40 : \____

> On Aug 11, 8:25 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If this is the end it seems to leave Novell in a curious position.
>> | In its deal with Microsoft, Novell appears to have granted Microsoft
>> | the power to claim that Microsoft holds the same kinds of rights to
>> | Linux that SCO claimed, and fourth quarter downloads indicate that
>> | many customers are taking those claims seriously.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=902
>
> That, to put it mildly, is the most spin that any MS Lover could
> possibly put on the deal.
>
> First, it forgets the fact that IBM was a party to the litigation, and
> it has been cleared.   Secondly, IBM have become much closer buddies
> now...much more so than Microsoft.
>
> Sun, was a licensee as well as Microsoft, and no one is talking about
> all those Solaris installations that run the Internet backbones that
> might come under Novell's domain.
>
> But here's the real possible downside to Microsoft.
>
> 1. The signed with SCO ... thus admitting they need a "Unix License"
> 2. That fee was set by SCO
> 3. The court ruling says that not only does Novell have all those
> rights, but it had the right to oversee or negate any "deal" made by
> SCO
>
> Therefore, Novell could now charge Microsoft billions and billions of
> dollars if it so chooses to stay in business.
>
> I think also that the BSD case will be overturned.   To me, it never
> made sense.   Clearly UNIX was a thing that could be owned, bought and
> sold, and there was no GPL back then.
>
> Novell, in fact, may own OSX (and Linux) as well.

Therein lies an issue. Novell is financially dependent on Microsoft, which
could devour Novell in the future.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=