Re: [News] SCO Makes Linux Stronger and More Popular

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 30 August 2007 15:47 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> How SCO helped Linux

>> | By drawing so much attention to Linux, and failing so spectacularly to
>> | find any legal flaw in it, SCO has actually helped Linux's business
>> | acceptance.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5172922655.html
>>

> If this is read before the watershed then:
>
> I believe you may be in error there Mr Nichols.
>
> If this is read after the watershed then:
>
> Bollocks Mr Nichols, your bottom is making rude noises.
>

> They was a period in that SCO mess when the server world was holding it's
> breath, concidering mainframes and high end servers are bought with maybe a
> good years planning with a target time of many years for the system to
> stand up, then the SCO fiasco meant that some had no choice but to wait in
> case they would be left on the wrong side of a barbed wire fence.
>
> What SCO did was damaging to UNIX and on the server side at least inhibited
> the further take up of Linux into the high end servers for a time.
>
> Don't go trying to find nice things in what SCO did, because they aren't
> any, unless you count the demise of SCO as good.

I've already told his he was wrong as well (comment in Digg where he submitted
a link), but for a different reason. All in all, SJVN usually gets it right.
He's a good writer compared to most journalists. He actually knows the stuff
he writes about.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
 23:05:02 up 24 days,  1:58,  5 users,  load average: 1.27, 2.05, 1.65