[News] [Rival] Microsoft Caught Lying About OOXML (Again!)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Caught Lying About OOXML (Again!)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:49:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft's OOXML 'choice' argument squashed

,----[ Quote ]
| Georg Greve, president of the Free Software Foundation Europe said that
| Microsoft is pursuing a "classic vendor lock-in strategy".
|
| "The absolute nightmare scenario is that Microsoft says, 'Update your
| licences, or we'll turn off your access.' Access to governmental data will
| completely depend on the existence of Microsoft,” he told Reuters.
|
| Other arguments against accepting OOXML were aired earlier this month when
| the International Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS)
| rejected Microsoft’s submission -- a crucial step for OOXML’s acceptance in
| the US, in particular by government departments.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft-s-OOXML-choice-argument-squashed/0,130061733,339281628,00.htm

Choice?

OOXML = Microsoft Office 2007 (which is the only one to implement a version
close to OOXML)

OOXML = Windows-only

Where is the choice? The choice to elevate the price of Microsoft Office,
because you can. Because you control the 'standard'.

And here's where you end up with if you trust a monopoly...

Vista+IE7, Web sites all broken (new screenshot):

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diggie7vistamv1.png

Ugly, unwanted, and buggy software (also new):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/110764688_31dd998615_o.jpg

BSODs everywhere (old pictures):

http://www.funzu.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1566&Itemid=49