[News] [Rival] Microsoft Forces Death of Project That Helped It (And Other Evil New Things)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Forces Death of Project That Helped It (And Other Evil New Things)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:38:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

,----[ Quote ]
| I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we
| are no longer allowed to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42266

Remember the Microsoft MVP whose project they killed because it was helping
Microsoft VS a little too much <
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39287310,00.htm?r=1 >? How about
Longhorn (see bottom)

It's worth adding that SP1 of Vista will only come in 2008, which pretty much
violated that ruling on Google (desktop search). But Microsoft is above the
law and it has friends/puppets in the DoJ (fact, as shown below).

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6204980.html

Microsoft already issued 'whitepapers' to tell business not to wait for SP1.
They want the cash and the no-way-back lock-in ASAP.

Related:

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Longhorn Reloaded killed by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]