[News] Vista Service Pack Won't Resolve Compatibility Nightmares, Secret Security Patches Delivered Too

  • Subject: [News] Vista Service Pack Won't Resolve Compatibility Nightmares, Secret Security Patches Delivered Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:15:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista SP1 won't sacrifice security for compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 will include a significant number of "proactive" security changes,
| DeVaan said. These do not represent fixes for specific vulnerabilities,
| instead they represent Microsoft's efforts to head off potential threats.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14224&Itemid=1054

Once again they shove in security patches under the guise of something else.
Later on they have that scummy Jeff Jones showing meaningless charts and
putting them in pamphlets.

Related:

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft reacts to kernel hacks, defends Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft wasn't much help in figuring out exactly what was beefed up by the
| PatchGuard update; the accompanying information was extremely vague. The
| MSRC's release manager, Simon Conant, was just as tight-lipped in a posting
| to the center's blog. "The update adds additional checks to Kernel Patch
| Protection for increased reliability, performance, and security," Conant
| said.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/15/Microsoft-reacts-to-kernel-hacks_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com%2Farticle%2F07%2F08%2F15%2FMicrosoft-reacts-to-kernel-hacks_1.html

Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
| feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
| problems with existing applications that running anything other
| than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
| XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
|
|    1. Games - don't even get me started...
|
|    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the irony...
|
|    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.
`----

http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

Windows Vista: Work In Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Already, the list of non-compatible applications or hardware is fairly
| long. Microsoft's own Vista updates add to the number of third-partyp
| atches on which businesses will have to conduct compatibility testing.
| The burden is yet another reason to see slow business deployments in
| the early months following Windows Vista's release.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/windows_vista_work_in_progress.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Vista Breaks Applications

,----[ Quote ]