[News] SCO is Likely to Appeal

SCO Likely To Appeal Novell Ruling, CEO Darl McBride Says

,----[ Quote ]
| McBride said Kimball's ruling "was a pretty hard shot." He said he heard the
| news while sitting in a conference room preparing for SCO's launch of new
| mobile products. "I got a call from our general counsel; he dropped a bomb,"
| McBride said.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201802921

Going down with the ship then. Nice UNIX timeline:

http://www.zwahlendesign.ch/images/screenshot/unix_desktop_macosx_1600x1200.jpg

Related:

SCO on the brink of financial collapse

,----[ Quote ]
| The company's share price had closed at $1.56 on Friday ahead of a court
| ruling that Novell, and not SCO, was the rightful owner of the copyrights for
| the Unix operating system. The price remained steady in early trading,
| however, valuing the company at about $9.5m.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=12A15472-0D2D-4B86-8121-992AEA422BBB

Can Microsoft get its $12 million back from SCO?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft played matchmaker back in 2003 when SCO needed money to help fund
| its lawsuits agains IBM and various other Linux players and customers.
| Microsoft suggested that hedge fund BayStar Capital invest $50 million in
| SCO.
|
| Microsoft also backed SCO’s play to convince other vendors and customers to
| license SCO’s technology to avoid potential infringement lawsuits. (Maybe
| that’s where Microsoft got its patent-licensing ideas ...)
|
| One of the first companies to snap up two SCO licenses was Microsoft, to the
| tune of $12 million, according to BusinessWeek. Sun Microsystems and Computer
| Associates also bought into SCO’s plan.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=639

The Goldfarb Declaration - Updated: MS Statement

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Declaration, Richard Emerson was not the only
| Microsoft employee Goldfarb was dealing with in connection with the
| BayStar investment in SCO. He mentions by name two others, from two
| other departments.

| "There you have it. At least a third of SCO's entire market
| capitalization, and their entire current cash reserves, is payoffs
| funnelled from Microsoft. Their 10Qs reveal that every other line of
| cash inflow is statistical noise by comparison. The brave new
| SCO source business model is now clear: sue your customers, shill
| for Microsoft, kite your stock, and pray you stay out of jail."
`----

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html

If this is true SCO’s execs are in BIG trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| SCO made a lot of claims during those press conferences, some of which never
| made it to court and were quickly glossed over. At times it seemed like the
| company was saying whatever it could while it had the chance. It’s no
| coincidence that the public claims stopped once the legal nitty-gritty got
| started.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/if_this_is_true.html

SCO Could Face Cash Crunch After Novell Trial

,----[ Quote ]
| The amount that SCO owes to Novell is now the primary focus of the case as it
| moves toward a trial that's slated to start on Sept. 17. SCO's problem: It's
| potentially on the hook for a sum that exceeds its total cash and assets.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201801912&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News
http://tinyurl.com/398vob

SCO Goes Bust in the Courtroom