[News] Windows Users Make Their O/S More Like Linux, But It's No Linux

  • Subject: [News] Windows Users Make Their O/S More Like Linux, But It's No Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:24:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Seeking a little Linux? Try Blackbox

,----[ Quote ]
| What else do I get with Blackbox? In addition to the memory savings, I get a
| cleaner, simpler interface reminiscent of Linux, the free, open-source
| operating system. The style that I chose, "mourn-blue," is a restful
| dark-grayish-blue, with a narrow task bar at the top of the page.
|
| [...]
|
| So far, I'm enjoying the streamlined interface, the Linux-like multiple
| Desktops, and the overall minimalist appearance. I may decide to go all the
| way and install it to boot up into Blackbox every time.
`----

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2007/08/28/columnists/calvin_ross/iq_4094633.txt

BSODs are part of blackbox however. Nothing beats an elegant kernel and base.

Linux: Sanitizing block_device_operations

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's time to sanitize prototypes of bdev ->open(), ->release()
| and ->ioctl()," Al Viro began in an RFC posted to the Linux Kernel mailing
| list...
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Sanitizing_block_device_operations

Sound like minor fixes. By contract, Vista has some very major scheduler issues
(among many others).

Only yesterday:

Those Dang DPCs Clogging the MMCSS [or "Why Vista Scheduling is Broken"]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/robert-love-backs-up-my-very-simple.html