[News] Microsoft Welcomes Crackers, Gives Them Money Again

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Welcomes Crackers, Gives Them Money Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:41:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft’s New Hackers Blog

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the post, “Microsoft employs some of the best hackers in the
| world and actively recruits them and develops them”
`----

http://www.go2tap.com/archives/microsoft%e2%80%99s-new-hackers-blog/

Blog @ http://blogs.msdn.com/hackers/default.aspx

This is not the first case where Microsoft encourages hacking by paying
crackers and hackers (hiring them and rewarding them rather than punishing
them).

This is funny:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22310989-663,00.html

"HACKERS have unlocked Microsoft's new iPhone, allowing it to be used by any
ntwork."

Related:

Microsoft invites hackers back for Blue Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is once again inviting members of the hacking community
| into its Redmond, Washington, campus to show the software giantw
| here it's gone wrong.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070510/tc_infoworld/88408

Do We Really Need a Security Industry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Aftermarket security is actually a very inefficient way to spend our
| security dollars; it may compensate for insecure IT products, but
| doesn't help improve their security. Additionally, as long as IT
| security is a separate industry, there will be companies making
| money based on insecurity -- companies who will lose money if the
| internet becomes more secure.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/05/securitymatters_0503

Schneier questions need for security industry

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6179500.html