[News] MythTV 0.20.2 Made Available and MythTV Linux Distros Compared

  • Subject: [News] MythTV 0.20.2 Made Available and MythTV Linux Distros Compared
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:29:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MythTV 0.20.2 Packages

,----[ Quote ]
| As most people using MythTV have by now heard, MythTV 0.20.2 was released
| late last week. The new version introduced support for Schedules Direct.
`----

http://www.mythbuntu.org/node/30

Three MythTV Linux distros compared

,----[ Quote ]
| When all is said and done, if I were building my TiVo replacement today, I
| would do it with MythDora. MythBuntu shows a lot of promise, and I will give
| the final 7.10 release another look (in part because I run Ubuntu on my
| desktop machines), but it isn't ready yet. But whichever option you choose,
| rest assured that setting up an up-to-date, correctly configured MythTV box
| has never been easier.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118668

Related:

Schedules Direct Now Open For Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Schedules Direct, the pay-to-use replacement for MythTV enthusiasts currently
| using Zap2It Labs for obtaining TV listings, has now gone live and is
| accepting customers.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjAwNw

[Launch] Greetings from the newly-formed team at Easy TV Data

,----[ Quote ]
| This organization was formed by members of various software projects in
| response to the announcement from Zap2it Labs that they will be discontinuing
| the free TV listings service that they have been providing to the
| non-commercial free and open source communities for the last 3+ years.
`----

http://easytvdata.org/

http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Linux_MCE_is_Awesome_144_2007.php

Building An Ubuntu MythTV Box

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu 7.04 setup with MythTV had gone smoothly and in no
| time we were watching and recording TV using the Hauppauge
| WinTV-PVR-500 MCE. While we have done multiple MythTV setups
| in the past, it was incredibly easy to setup on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=736&num=1

MythTV vs. Vista MCE: First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| First, I suppose I need to start with a disclaimer before discussing
| the relative merits of MythTV and Vista MCE as I've experienced them
| over the past month.
`----

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855576

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]
| I also worked for a company which designed dedicated media center
| machines. Slick looking boxes for under the tv action. drool. Around
| 20000 sold, and counting. So that means I have a very valid opinion.
|
| My son has a mce machine in his room, I have one in the lounge, and my
| car is running mce. I also got my brother and sister set up with mce.
| So now I have a very very very valid opinion.
|
| That means you have to sit and listen while I moan, because I am not
| moaning due to having a bad day. I am moaning due to this piece of
| crap microsoft is trying to tout to all and sundry. Yes, I have
| given it a good innings, more than most would attempt, and I still
| use it for lack of anything else wife friendly. That doesnt make
| it good.
`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically this is an unpack-and-plug-in solution to your media
| streaming/live TV pausing/scheduled recording needs.  Yes, you
| could build your own Linux box and install MythTV, but this saves
| you all the effort, is cheaper than a Windows Media Centre and
| gives you access to a vast range of fan-programmed add-ons.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/pre-build-mythtv-linux-pvr-eats-windows-mce-for-breakfast-152985.php

Linux as a Media Centre

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as comparing Mythtv to Windows Media Centre, there is really
| no comparison, Mythtv is in a class of its own and puts WMC to shame
| in almost every department possible. This is the sort of application
| that could introduce Linux to many new users and households. Well done
| Isaac and the rest of the team, keep up the good work.
`----

http://www.linuxforums.org/multimedia/linux_as_a_media_centre.html?

Monolith Media Center brings MythTV to the technophobe

,----[ Quote ]
| If MythTV's promise of a free Windows Media Center alternative sounds
| exciting, but you can't quite bring yourself to navigate the trials of
| a Linux install on your own, then you might be interested in
| Monolith's pre-built Media Center PCs, which come with MythTV
| pre-installed on top of Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/monolith-media-center-brings-mythtv-to-the-technophobe

MythTV vs Windows Media Centre: is Linux still in with a chance?

,----[ Quote ]
| In terms of functionality, the machines were identical.
|
| MCE is beautiful to look at and use -- but if had the choice between a
| swankier interface and saving a few hundred dollars on the cost of the
| unit, I'd go for saving the money anyday.
`----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/amills/2006/09/1458/mythtv-vs-windows-media-centre-is-linux-still-in-with-a-chance

MythTV - Record and playback all your favourite TV soaps in GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/09/mythtv-record-and-playback-all-your.html